Dismantling And Installing The Cooling Air Blower (as from 3 cylinder engine)
Remove V-belt and air cowling. Unscrew bolts and take down blower.
1. Align blower to holes and attach to front-end cover.
2. Push idler pulley upward and install belt.
Removing And Refitting Oil-Controlled Fan (As from 3-cylinder engine)
Loosen generator and remove V-belt. Take down oil feed, vent and return piping. Unscrew bolts to remove fan.
1. Align fan to holes and attach to front-end cover.
2. Fit oil return connector with new seal.
3. Connect oil return pipe with rubber sleeve and clips.
NOTE: Fit new O-seal and coat with grease (arrow).
4. Connect vent pipe. Preload bolts.
5. Connect oil feed pipe. Preload bolts.
6. Secure clip as shown (arrow) and tighten all bolts.
7. Secure oil feed pipe to exhaust thermostat with new washers.
Dismantling And Installing The Air Compressor And Bracket
1. Remove the vee belts for the air compressor and generator. Disconnect the induction pipe attached to the air compressor and the oil line on the bracket.
2. Remove the bracket with the air compressor. Disassemble the rubber O-seal on the bracket. Disassemble the air compressor from the bracket. Remove the rubber gasket from the contact surface of the air compressor.
1. Coat a new rubber gasket with grease and stick it in position on the air compressor.
2. Mount the air compressor on the bracket so that the oilholes of the compressor register with those of the bracket.
3. Apply grease to a new rubber gasket and stick it in position on the bracket.
4. Mount the bracket with air compressor to the front cover.
5. Fit new gasket on the oil line and connect it to the bracket.
6. Connect the induction line, fitted with a new gasket, to the air compressor, paying attention to the clamping cone.
Tensioning, Replacing Air Compressor Vee-Belt
a) Single-Groove Pulley
1. Unscrew locking bolts from belt pulley, remove outer belt pulley and Vee-belt.
2. The belt tension is increased by removing shims from the collar of the inner belt pulley half.
3. Place removed shim on to outer belt pulley half.
4. Mount Vee-belt on collar. Fit outer belt pulley with inserted shims.
5. Fit bolts and tighten uniformly while turning the belt pulley.
6. Check Vee-belt tension. Make sure that the free movement midway between the belt pulleys is about 10 mm, when pressure is applied with the thumb.
7. If necessary, repeat the tensioning operation.
b) Double-Groove Pulley
1. For tensioning the outer Vee-belt unscrew nuts and detach outer belt pulley
2. Remove one shim between outer belt pulley half and intermediate plate.
3. Place removed shim on the outside of the outer belt pulley half.
4. Fit outer belt pulley half with shims and tighten nuts while turning the belt pulley.
5. For tightening the inner Vee-belt remove outer belt pulley half, shims and intermediate plate.
6. Remove inner belt pulley half and place one shim on to hub body.
7. Fit inner belt pulley half and remaining shims, inner Vee-belt.
8. Assemble intermediate plate, shims, outer Vee-belt and outer belt pulley half. Uniformly tighten nuts while turning the belt pulley.
9. The Vee-belts are tensioned correctly if the free movement midway between the pulleys is about 10 mm, when pressure is applied with the thumb.
10. If necessary, repeat tensioning operation individually for inner or outer Vee-belt or both Vee-belts together.
Dismantling And Installing The Generator
1. Slacken the fasteners securing the generator and remove the vee belt.
2. Remove generator.
1. Position generator and check alignment of generator belt to crankshaft belt.
2. Correct any misalignment by bolt washers.
3. Install belt. Secure strap.
Checking The Induction And Exhaust Manifolds
1. Check the induction and exhaust manifolds for cracks and damage.
2. Remove flame glow plug from induction manifold and seal all apertures so that they are air-tight. Check manifolds for leaks.
3. If the induction manifold is leaky renew it. If the exhaust manifold is damaged, repair or renew it.
Dismantling And Reassembling The Cooling Air Blower
The cooling air blower is removed.
1. Unscrew the securing bolt and remove the washer. Dismantle the vee-blet pulley, blower impeller, thrust washer and bearing shaft. Remove the circlip and press out the two grooved ball bearings and spacer sleeve.
2. Renew the two grooved ball bearings and fill them with special high melting point bearing grease. Install the first grooved ball bearing with the enclosed side to the front.
Fig. 8-32, left
3. Insert the bearing shaft in the grooved ball bearing and slide the distance sleeve on the bearing shaft.
Fig. 8-32, right
4. Half-fill the space between the distance sleeve and casing wall with special high melting point bearing grease.
5. Press in the second ball bearing so that the face opposite the closed side seats against the distance sleeve. Install the circlip in the groove.
6. Assemble the thrust ring on the opposite end of the shaft.
7. Install the impeller, with the wide flange facing upwards, in the blower casing.
8. Mount the vee-belt pulley on the opposite side of the impeller and insert the securing bolt.
9. Place the washer on the impeller side and assemble the nut finger-tight.
10. Grip the nut in a vice and tighten and lock down the bolt in accordance with the instructions for tightening bolts and studs.
Dismantling And Reassembling Oil-Controlled Fan
Fan is removed.
Dismantling The Fan
1. After cleaning thread and oiling well, clamp fan in vice at belt pulley flat and undo sealing nut, while holding wrench against bolt flat (see arrow).
2. Take down V-belt pulley.
3. Loosen sealing nut on far side, retaining as above.
4. Remove rotor.
5. Remove screws, securing inner cover plate.
6. Remove cover plate.
7. Take out complete coupling.
8. For removing ball bearing in cover Fig. 8-43 and ball bearing in fan shroud hub, Fig. 8-44, remove pertaining circlips.
9. Press shaft with bearing out of cover and press bearing from shaft.
10. Remove shaft seal by lever.
11. Remove needle bearing circlips.
12. Press needle bearing out of cover.
13. Press shaft with ball bearing out of fan shroud hub and press bearing from shaft.
14. Prise out shaft seal.
15. Remove needle bearing circlips.
16. Press needle bearing out of hub.
Shown in Fig. 8-53 is the complete cover.
8. Shaft seal
10. Needle bearing
21. Ball bearing
17. Install inner circlip in cover.
18. Press in needle bearing.
19. Install outer circlip.
20. Press ball bearing into cover, applying pressure to outer ring.
21. Install circlip for ball bearing.
22. Press shaft seal in flush, using tool No. 160260.
23. Carefully guide shaft through shaft seal and press into ball bearing, while supporting cover on inner ring of ball bearing.
Shown in Fig. 8-61 is the complete fan shroud hub.
8. Shaft seal
10. Needle bearing
15. Fan shroud with guide vane blading
17. Angular-contact ball bearing
24. Install inner circlip in fan shroud hub.
25. Press in needle bearing.
26. Install outer circlip.
27. Install sleeve in fan shroud.
28. Press angular-contact ball bearing into fan shroud hub, applying pressure to outer ring.
29. Install circlip.
30. Press shaft seal in flush, using tool No. 160260.
31. Carefully guide shaft through shaft seal and press into angular-contact ball bearing, while supporting fan shroud hub on inner ring of bearing.
32. Install complete coupling.
33. Fit new O-seal on shaft (arrow).
34. Place V-belt pulley in position. Fit new sealing nut. Oil thread beforeha
NOTE: Hold wrench against bolt flat.
35. Preload nut with 50 Nm and tighten through 90°.
36. Place new O-seal on cover and coat with grease.
37. For easier guidance of the cover during installation insert three stud bolts beforehand. Install cover so that the oil deflector (arrow) is at the bottom of the cooling blower, at oil drain.
38. Install cheese-head screws with new joint washers and tighten. (8.5+3 Nm)
39. Fit O-seal.
40. Install rotor.
41. Screw new sealing nut in place, oiling thread well beforehand.
NOTE: Hold wrench against bolt flat.
42. Preload nut with 50 Nm and tighten through 90°.
Dismantling And Installing The Hydraulic Oil Pump
1. Disconnect oil lines at the hydraulic pump.
2. Screw off cover. Screw nut off hydraulic pump shaft.
3. For earlier gear design, use puller No. 144700, Fig. 8-82, for new gear design, use puller No. 144750 to withdraw gear from shaft.
NOTE: Fig. 8-84 shows the new gear design with inner groove (arrow).
4. Release hydraulic pump and remove.
5. Mount hydraulic pump complete with new gasket.
6. Tighten nut to prescribed torque (see Specification Data).
7. Place new O-seal in position and mount cover.
Remove And Refit Horizontal Coolant Oil Nozzle
1. Install drilling bush and operate 6.7 mm dia. drill.
2. Drilling depth: max approx. 12 mm.
3. Tap with M8 and remove nozzle by puller bush and screw.
4. Refit oil nozzle, using tool No. 151100. When installing nozzle in tool, check that parallel pin points towards cylinder head. Furthermore, check that tool is properly located in adjacent bore (arrow).
NOTE: Before installation fill annular groove with sealant.
Hole diameter on: F4L 912 = 0,8 mm