Do not use aerosol types of starting aids such as ether. Such use could result in an explosion and personal injury.
It is important to prepare the machine for operation in temperatures that are below
Machine preparation for cold weather includes using the correct hydraulic system oil. The factory fills the hydraulic system with 10W hydraulic oil which has a minimum operating temperature of
Keep the engine speed low until the engine oil pressure alert indicator goes out. If the alert indicator does not go out within ten seconds, stop the engine and investigate the cause before you try to start the engine again. Failure to do so can cause engine damage.
If you fail to follow the steps described in this section, damage to the engine or damage to the hydraulic system may occur.
- Fasten the seat belt.
- Pull the armrest downward.
- Move the governor control lever to the low idle position.
- Before the engine is started, check for the presence of bystanders or maintenance personnel. Ensure that all personnel are clear of the machine. Briefly sound the forward horn before you start the engine.
- Turn the engine start switch key to the ON position.
Do not operate the glow plugs for more than 30 seconds at one time. Damage to the glow plugs could occur.
- Press the glow plug switch and hold the switch for the time specified in the following table:
Table 1 Ambient Temperature Preheat time for the Glow Plugs greater than 0 °C (32 °F) 6 seconds 0 °C (32 °F)to −18 °C (0 °F) 10 seconds less than −18 °C (0 °F) 30 seconds
Note: For ambient temperatures of
−27 °C (−16 °F)or colder, it is recommended to use a jacket water heater in addition to glow plugs. NOTICE
Do not crank the engine for more than 30 seconds. Allow the electric starting motor to cool for two minutes before cranking the engine again.
- Release the glow plug switch momentarily.
- Turn the engine start switch key to the START position in order to start the engine. Press the glow plug switch and hold the switch during engine cranking in order to assist starting. Release the keyand release the glow plug switch after the engine has started.
- Run the engine for 5 minutes. The engine should run smoothly at low idle. The engine should run smoothly as speed is gradually increased to high idle. Allow the white smoke to disperse before you proceed with normal operation.
- Disengage the parking brake.
- Run the engine at half throttle. Hold the work tool control in the TILT BACK position for thirty seconds. Release the control for thirty seconds. Hold the work tool control in the LOWER position for thirty seconds. Release the control for thirty seconds. Perform the procedure for three minutes.
Note: If you are operating the machine below
0 °C (32 °F), perform the procedure for eight minutes. NOTICE
Do not use the hydraulic interlock override function to warm up the machine.
- Keep all personnel away from the machine. Move the machine very slowly to an open area. Repeat Step 11 as you move the machine back and forth for
3 m (10 ft).
Note: More warm up time may be required if the hydraulic functions are sluggish.