- 1. Change the hydraulic oil tank breather filter element.
- 2. Clean the primary fuel filter element (see page 5-27 for procedures.
- 3. Change the final fuel filter elements (see page 5-28 for procedures).
- 4. Drain water and sediment from the fuel tank.
- 5. Clean the engine crankcase breathers.
- 6. Clean the breathers on the pump drive gearbox, power take-off, cutter takeup sheave, cutter drive sheave and cutter planetary gear reducer.
Changing The Hydraulic Oil Tank Breather Filter Element
The hydraulic oil tank breather has a spin-on type element. To change the element:
- 1. OPEN THE VALVE BY THE BREATHER TO RELIEVE THE PRESSURE IN THE TANK.
- 2. Unscrew the filter element from the filter body.
- 3. Check the condition of the O-ring at the base of the filter body. Replace the O-ring, if necessary.
- 4. Coat the O-ring with clean hydraulic oil and screw the element onto the filter body until it contacts the O-ring.
- 5. Turn the element about 1/2 turn more.
- 6. Close the valve by the breather.
Draining Water And Sediment From The Fuel Tank
DIESEL FUEL IS VOLATILE AND COULD IGNITE OR EXPLODE, CAUSING SERIOUS BURNS AND INJURIES FROM FLYING OBJECTS. NEVER SMOKE OR HAVE AN OPEN FLAME WHILE WORKING ON THE FUEL SYSTEM.
- 1. Close the valve in the fuel supply line at the bottom of the fuel tank.
- 2. Open the drain valve and allow the fuel to drain until free of water and sediment.
- 3. Open the valve in the fuel supply line.
If the tank shows signs of excessive water or sediment, drain the tank completely and refill the tank with fresh fuel.
Cleaning The Engine Crankcase Breathers
HOT ENGINE COMPONENTS CAN CAUSE SERIOUS BURNS. INADVERTENT STARTING OF THE ENGINE COULD CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY. SHUT THE ENGINE DOWN, REMOVE THE KEY FROM THE IGNITION SWITCH AND ALLOW THE ENGINE TO COOL.
- 1. Release the hose clamp and disconnect the fumes disposal tube.
- 2. Remove the breather assembly.
- 3. Wash the breather in nonflammable solvent.
- 4. Allow the breather to drain dry and then wipe.
- 5. Inspect the gasket. Install a new gasket if necessary.
- 6. Install the breather.
- 7. Connect the fumes disposal tube.
- 8. Clean the second breather in the same manner.
Cleaning The Breathers On The Pump Drive Gearbox, Power Take-Off, Cutter Takeup Sheave, Cutter Drive Sheave And Cutter Planetary Gear Reducer
INADVERTENT STARTING OF THE ENGINE COULD CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY. SHUT THE ENGINE DOWN AND REMOVE THE KEY FROM THE IGNITION SWITCH.
- 1. Remove the breather and wash it in clean nonflammable solvent.
- 2. Blow the breather dry with clean air or allow it to drain dry.
- 3. Reinstall the breather.