Diesel engine exhaust contains products of combustion which may cause personal injury.
Always start and operate the engine in a well ventilated area, and, if in an enclosed area, vent the exhaust to the outside.
- Make sure that no one is on the machine, underneath the machine or around the machine. Make sure that there are no personnel in the area.
- Close the operator's station door.
- Adjust the operator's seat.
- Fasten the seat belt.
Note: Before you start the engine, wait for the self test of the Computerized Monitoring System. The self test will activate when the engine start switch is turned to the ON position.
Reference: Refer to the Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Computerized Monitoring System - Self Test" in this section for further information.
- On STIC steering machines, move transmission direction control (1) to the NEUTRAL position. Move steering and transmission lock lever (2) to the LOCKED position.
- On wheel steering machines, move transmission direction and speed control (3) to the NEUTRAL position. Press the right side of switch (4) to engage the transmission neutral lock.
- Move joystick control lever (5) to the HOLD position.
- Move parking brake control (6) to the ON position to engage the parking brake.
- Sound the horn.
- Turn engine start switch (7) to the START position.
- Release the engine start switch when the engine starts.
Note: For starting below -18 °C (0 °F), use of additional cold weather starting aids is recommended. A coolant heater, a fuel heater or some extra battery capacity may be required. At temperatures below -23 °C (-10 °F), consult your AVSpare dealer or refer to the Operation and Maintenance Manual, SEBU5898, "Cold Weather Recommendations".
Do not engage the starting motor when flywheel is turning. Do not start the engine under load.
If the engine fails to start within 30 seconds, release the starter switch or button and wait two minutes to allow the starting motor to cool before attempting to start the engine again.