Your engine can be equipped with a water pump belt, with a fan drive belt and with accessory drive belts. Your engine can also be equipped with an alternator belt. For maximum engine performance and maximum utilization of your engine, inspect the belts for wear and for cracking. Check the belt tension. Adjust the belt tension in order to minimize belt slippage. Belt slippage will decrease the belt life. Belt slippage will also cause poor performance of the alternator and of any driven equipment.
If new belts are installed, recheck the belt adjustment after 30 minutes of operation. If two belts or more are required for an application, replace the belts in belt sets. If only one belt of a matched set is replaced, the new belt will carry more load. This is due to the fact that the older belts are stretched. The additional load on the new belt could cause the new belt to break.
Stop the engine. Open the hood.
- To check the belt tension, apply
110 N (25 lb)of force midway between the pulleys. Correctly adjusted belts will deflect 13 to 19 mm (1/2 to 3/4 inch).
- In order to adjust the alternator belt, loosen bracket bolt (1) and mounting bolt (2) on the alternator bracket.
- To achieve the correct adjustment, move the alternator inward or move the alternator outward, as required.
- Tighten mounting bolt (2) and bracket bolt (1).
- If new belts are installed, check the belt adjustment again after 30 minutes of engine operation at the rated speed.
Air Conditioner Belt (If Equipped)
- Stop the engine in order to inspect the air conditioner belt.
- Inspect the condition of the air conditioner belt and the adjustment of the air conditioner belt. The air conditioner belt should deflect
14 to 20 mm (0.55 to 0.79 inch)under 110 N (25 lb)of force.
- Loosen compressor mounting bolt (4). Loosen compressor bracket mounting bolt (5).
- Move the compressor until the correct belt tension is reached.
- If necessary, use a pry bar in square hole (3) that is on the compressor bracket.
- Tighten compressor bracket mounting bolt (5). Tighten compressor mounting bolt (4).
- Recheck the belt deflection. If the amount of deflection is incorrect, repeat Step 3 to Step 6.
- Start the engine. If poor cooling is still experienced, turn off the air conditioner. Stop the engine. Notify your AVSpare dealer for air conditioner system service.