At operating temperature, the engine coolant is hot and under pressure.
Steam can cause personal injury.
Check the coolant level only after the engine has been stopped and the fill cap is cool enough to touch with your bare hand.
Remove the fill cap slowly to relieve pressure.
Cooling system conditioner contains alkali. Avoid contact with the skin and eyes to prevent personal injury.
Replace the water temperature regulator on a regular basis in order to reduce the chance of unscheduled downtime and the chance of problems with the cooling system.
Failure to replace the engine's water temperature regulator on a regularly scheduled basis could cause severe engine damage.
The water temperature regulator should be replaced after the cooling system has been cleaned. Replace the water temperature regulator and replace the seals while the cooling system is completely drained or while the cooling system coolant is drained to a level that is below the water temperature regulator housing.
Note: If you are only replacing the water temperature regulator, drain the cooling system coolant to a level that is below the water temperature regulator housing.
- Remove the pressure cap.
Illustration 1 g00944082
- Loosen the hose clamp (1) and remove the hose from the water temperature regulator housing.
- Remove bolts (2).
- Remove the gasket and remove the water temperature regulator from the water temperature regulator housing. Make a note of the orientation of the old regulator.
Since AVSpare engines incorporate a shunt design cooling system, it is mandatory to always operate the engine with a water temperature regulator.
Depending on load, failure to operate with a water temperature regulator could result in either an overheating or an overcooling condition.
If the water temperature regulator is installed incorrectly, it will cause the engine to overheat.
- Install a new water temperature regulator. Orient the regulator in the same manner as the old regulator. Install a new gasket. Install the water temperature regulator housing.
- Install the water temperature regulator housing and the hose. Tighten the hose clamp.
- Add the cooling system coolant. Maintain the coolant level within
1 cm (0.5 inch)of the bottom of the filler tube. See the following topics:
- Special Publication, SEBU6250, "AVSpare Machine Fluids Recomendations"
- Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Capacities (Refill)"
- Inspect pressure cap and the gasket for damage. Replace the pressure cap if the pressure cap or the gasket are damaged.
- Install the pressure cap.
See your AVSpare Dealer for further information and instructions for your machine.