PRODUCT SUPPORT PROGRAM FOR INSPECTING BEVEL GEAR BOLTED JOINTS ON CERTAIN 797, 797B, AND 797F OFF-HIGHWAY TRUCKS
AVSpare’s obligations under this Service Letter are subject to, and shall not apply in contravention of, the laws, rules, regulations, directives, ordinances, orders, or statutes of the United States, or of any other applicable jurisdiction, without recourse or liability with respect to AVSpare.
This Program must be administered either before or after failure. In either case the decision whether to apply the Program is made by the dealer. When reporting the repair, use "PS46509" as the Part Number and "7755" as the Group Number. If administered before failure, use "56" as the Warranty Claim Description Code and "T" as the SIMS Description code. If administered after failure, use "96" as the Warranty Claim Description Code, and "Z" as the SIMS Description Code.
The information supplied in this service letter may not be valid after the termination date of this program. Do not perform the work outlined in this Service Letter after the termination date without first contacting your AVSpare product analyst.
|The existing bolts that secure the 287-7349 Housing to the 546-1200 Bevel Gear can loosen and back out of the joint on certain 797, 797B, and 797F Off-Highway Trucks. If an existing bolt backs out it can cause excessive debris to be generated in the differential and cause differential failures.|
|797B||JSM00193, 210, 266, 343, 364, 382|
LTZ00147-00149, 155-157, 160-161
|No parts needed for this program|
|Inspections of the bolted joint and the differential magnetic plug should occur every 500 hours.
1. Remove 22 bolts (A) and 22 washers (B) that secure cover assembly (C) to differential carrier assembly (D). Retain the bolts and washers.
2. Remove cover assembly (C). Retain the cover assembly
3. Remove O-ring seal (E) that is under cover assembly (C). Retain the O-ring seal.
4. Look inside to the left in the differential carrier assembly through opening (F) of the cover assembly. Inspect bevel gear (G) for the following problems using a flexible camera
- Bevel gear bolts (H) backing out
- Bevel gear and cage damage
Note: Refer to SMAG, M0067392, for corrective actions if the bolts have backed out.
5. Install O-ring seal (E) and cover assembly (C).
6. Install 22 bolts (A) and 22 washers (B) that secure cover assembly (C).
7. Tighten the bolts to the proper torque. Refer to SENR3130, "Torque Specifications" for the proper torque.
SERVICE CLAIM ALLOWANCES
| NOTE: This is a 4.0-hour job
If there has been a previous repair, part age/hours will apply. Retain a copy of the previous repair invoice in the dealer's records for audit purposes, and specify repair date and machine hours in the "Additional Comments" section of the warranty claim.
|Handle the parts in accordance with your Warranty Bulletin on warranty parts handling.|