PRODUCT SUPPORT PROGRAM FOR INSPECTING FRONT SPINDLES ON CERTAIN 16M MOTOR GRADERS
|4305 4313 5225||
AVSpare’s obligations under this Service Letter are subject to, and shall not apply in contravention of, the laws, rules, regulations, directives, ordinances, orders, or statutes of the United States, or of any other applicable jurisdiction, without recourse or liability with respect to AVSpare.
This Program must be administered either before or after failure. In either case the decision whether to apply the Program is made by the dealer. When reporting the repair, use "PS46874" as the Part Number and "7755" as the Group Number. If administered before failure, use "56" as the Warranty Claim Description Code and "T" as the SIMS Description code. If administered after failure, use "96" as the Warranty Claim Description Code, and "Z" as the SIMS Description Code.
The information supplied in this service letter may not be valid after the termination date of this program. Do not perform the work outlined in this Service Letter after the termination date without first contacting your AVSpare product analyst.
This Revised Service Letter replaces the 01Oct2020 Service Letter. Changes have been made to the Rework Procedure.
|The factory built 264-1161 Front Axle Spindles can fail on certain 16M Motor Graders. If the existing spindle fails it can cause the wheel to become detached from machine. This service letter covers the inspection of field machines and support necessary to replace 264-1161 Spindle from affected machines still in service. These spindles were in production through November 2013.|
|6||6V5696||BOLT (If Needed)|
|6||7D1649||WASHER-HARD (If Needed)|
|6||4264334||SHIM (If Needed)|
|2||4378982||RETAINER (If Needed)|
|2||4378983||SPINDLE-FRONT (If Needed)|
|2||4378984||COVER (If Needed)|
|In order to allow equitable parts availability to all participating dealers, please limit your initial parts order to not exceed 10% of dealership population. This is an initial order recommendation only, and the ultimate responsibility for ordering the total number of parts needed to satisfy the program lies with the dealer.
|For affected machines that are still in service:
1. Identify if a 264-1161 Spindle is installed in either left or right side of 250-2282 Front Axle Group.
2. If the spindle(s) have not been updated to improved 437-8983 Front Spindle (released in November 2013), then the spindle should be replaced. If only one side spindle is a 264-1161 Spindle, then this service letter covers replacement of one side only.
Generally, 16M spindles should be replaced at second axle Planned Component Replacement (PCR). Please review service records to see if spindle had been updated previously, but visual inspection may be needed for confirmation.
Refer to the attached Rework Procedure for spindle identification.
SERVICE CLAIM ALLOWANCES
|NOTE: This is a 1.0-hour job|
|This is a 1 hour job for the inspection only. |
An additional 6 hours of labor is allowed if one 264-1161 Spindle is found on a machine and needs to be replaced.
An additional 12 hours of labor is allowed if two 264-1161 Spindles are found and need to be replaced. (6 hours per side)
|Handle the parts in accordance with your Warranty Bulletin on warranty parts handling.|
|The spindle can be identified a number of ways.
For checking parts, refer to disassembly guide, ?Wheel Spindle - Remove - Front Wheel (KENR6018).?
Spindle Bolt Circle Radius (primary method)
1. The 437-8983 Spindle has a 22.5 mm (0.9 inches) bolt circle radius or 45.0 mm (1.8 inches) diameter. The straightline distance between center of 2 bolt holes is 39.0 mm (1.5 inches).
2. The 264-1161 Spindle has a 31.8 mm (1.25 inches) bolt circle radius or 63.5 mm (2.5 inches) diameter. The straightline distance between center of 2 bolt holes is 55.0 mm (2.2 inches).
|Cover Part Number
1. If cover p/n is 5T-0908, then installed spindle is 264-1161 and will need to be replaced.
2. If cover p/n is 437-8984, then the new high clearance cover may already be installed. However, it is possible for older spindle to be installed with 437-8984 Cover, so further verification may be necessary.
|Spindle Part Number
1. If spindle is stamped with 264-1161 or 147-3402 as shown in IMAGE1.3.1, then further confirmation will still be necessary since new spindle was made from old forging. The p/n stamp may not have been updated.
2. If spindle p/n shows 437-8983 on wheel hub, then new spindle is installed and replacement is not necessary.