TECHNICAL INFORMATION BULLETIN
JULY 16, 2003
924G (DDA, RBB)
924Gz (DFZ, RTA)
Component Code(s) 1408
SUBJECT: BAD GROUND CONNECTIONS MAY CAUSE ENGINE PROBLEMS
The ground ring terminals on some of the 224-9610 Harness As-Engine are not crimped correctly. There are two ground ring terminals on the engine harness. The two circuits are as follows:
- Circuit: 229 E54 Black ? Engine Ground
- Circuit: 200 E37 Black ? Main Chassis Ground
If the wire connection fails at either of the ground ring terminals, the engine will shut down and fail to restart. See Figure 1 for the location of the ground ring terminals.
A break in the ground circuits will generate diagnostic codes. These codes can be viewed using the AVSpare Electronic Technician (ET). The instrument cluster can also be used in order to display diagnostics when in the service mode.
If an open circuit occurs on the 229-E54 Black Wire, the following Active and Logged diagnostic codes will be generated and stored on the A4M1 Transmission ECM:
- MID 081-CID 0247-FMI 09 J1939 Data Link Communications . This code is recorded when the machine ECM stops receiving information on the CAN data link.
- MID 081-CID 0590-FMI 09 Unable to communicate with Engine ECM This code is recorded when the engine ECM is not sending parameters to the machine ECM at the proper rate.
Note: The engine ECM Module A4E1 will not be displayed on ET with an open circuit on the 229-E54 Black Wire.
If an open circuit occurs on the 200-E37 Black Wire, the following Active and Logged diagnostic codes will be generated and stored on the A4E1 Engine ECM:
- CID 0174-FMI 02 Fuel Temperature Sensor data erratic
- CID 0342-FMI 02 Loss of Secondary Engine Speed signal
- CID 1684-FMI Fuel Injection Pump abnormal rate of change
- Abnormal rate of change
- Open Circuit
These diagnostic codes are active when the Fuel Injection Pump has suffered a complete failure of the electrical supply.
This code is generated when the Engine ECM detects one of the following improper responses from the Fuel Injection Pump:
Install a new 2L-8078 Terminal-Insulated Ring Type onto the 200 E37 Circuit. Install a new 2L-8078 Terminal-Insulated Ring Type onto the 229 E54 Circuit. Crimp the new terminals with the 139-2788 Crimp Tool-Ferrl.
Note: The ground ring terminals should be for wire size 14-16 AWG and the ring should fit a 7.94 mm (5/16 in) screw.
COPYRIGHT 2003 AVSpare
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED