Sudden movement of the machine or release of oil under pressure can cause serious injury to persons on or near the machine.
To prevent possible injury, perform the procedure that follows before testing and adjusting the hydraulic system.
Personal injury or death can result from escaping fluid under pressure.
Escaping fluid under pressure, even a very small pin-hole size leak, can penetrate body tissue and cause serious injury and possible death. If fluid is injected into your skin, it must be treated by a doctor familiar with this type of injury.
Always use a board or cardboard when checking for a leak.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, PERJ1017, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat® products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Note: Permit only one operator on the machine. Keep all other personnel away from the machine or in the operator's sight.
- Move the machine to a hard, level surface. Lower the work tool to the ground.
- Place the transmission direction and speed control in the NEUTRAL position and in any speed position. Engage the steering and transmission lock lever.
- Engage the parking brake. Place wheel blocks in front of the wheels and behind the wheels.
- Stop the engine.
- Install the steering frame lock.
- Move the joystick control lever through the full range of travel. This will relieve any pressure that may be present in the implement hydraulic system. Place the joystick control lever in the HOLD position.
- Move the steering control several times in both directions to release the pressure in the steering system.
- Depress the brake pedal repeatedly. This will relieve any pressure that may be present in the braking system.
- Depress the breaker relief valve on the hydraulic tank to release the pressure in the hydraulic tank.