Personal injury or death can result from escaping fluid under pressure.
Escaping fluid under pressure, even a very small pin-hole size leak, can penetrate body tissue and cause serious injury and possible death. If fluid is injected into your skin, it must be treated by a doctor familiar with this type of injury.
Always use a board or cardboard when checking for a leak.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "AVSpare Tools and Shop Products Guide" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on AVSpare products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
When you diagnose a problem in the braking and hydraulic fan system, a visual inspection of the system is the first step. Before any tests are performed, visually inspect the entire braking and hydraulic fan system for oil leaks and for damaged parts.
Stop the engine and lower the implement to the ground. Engage the parking brake and perform the following inspections:
- Check the oil level in the sight gauge.
- Look for air in the oil that is in the hydraulic tank immediately after the engine is stopped. Use a clear container to obtain a sample of the oil. Look for air bubbles in the oil that is in the container.
- Check all oil lines and all connections for damage and for leaks.
- Inspect the pump for the braking and hydraulic fan system for damage and inspect the hydraulic fan motor for damage.
- Start the engine.
- Ensure that the fan is operating.
- Press the top of the reversing fan switch and ensure that the fan reverses direction.
- Release the parking brake and activate the service brakes while the machine is moving in both directions. Listen for any unusual noises. Ensure that the brakes stop the machine within an acceptable distance.
- Lower the implement and stop the engine.