- Remove the bracket for the Electronic Control Module. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "ECM Mounting Bracket - Remove and Install".
Ensure that all adjustments and repairs that are carried out to the fuel system are performed by authorised personnel that have the correct training.
Before begining ANY work on the fuel system, refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "General Hazard Information and High Pressure Fuel Lines" for safety information.
Refer to System Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Cleanliness of Fuel System Components" for detailed information on the standards of cleanliness that must be observed during ALL work on the fuel system.
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
- Drain the coolant from the cooling system into a suitable container. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cooling System Coolant - Drain" for the correct procedure.
Illustration 1 g01417038 Typical example of an engine oil cooler with a blanking plate
- If the engine has a left hand side oil filter, remove the oil filter base. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Oil Filter Base - Remove and Install".
If the engine has a right hand side oil filter, follow Steps 2.a through 2.c in order to remove the blanking plate (12). Refer to Illustration 1.
- Remove bolts (11).
- Remove blanking plate (12).
- Remove the joint.
- Make temporary identification marks on plastic tube assemblies (3) in order to show the correct position of the tube assemblies.
- Remove plastic tube assemblies (3). Plug all plastic tube assemblies with new plugs. Cap all open ports with new caps.
- Follow Steps 5.a through 5.d in order to disconnect the engine wiring harness (4).
- Disconnect engine wiring harness (4) from position sensor (2) for the fuel injection pump.
- Disconnect engine wiring harness (4) from solenoid (1) for the fuel injection pump.
- Disconnect engine wiring harness (4) from oil pressure sensor (13).
- Cut the cable straps that secure engine wiring harness (4) to the assembly of oil cooler (6). Position the harness away from the assembly of the oil cooler.
- Remove tube assembly (9) for the fuel return from cylinder head and from transfer pump (8). Plug the tube assembly with new plugs. Cap all open ports with new caps.
Illustration 2 g01336427 Typical example of engine oil cooler with a blanking plate or with a low mounted filter base
- If necessary, loosen bolts (15). Remove bolts (7) and remove brackets (5), (14) and (10) for the tube assemblies. Remove the assembly of oil cooler (6) from the cylinder block.
Note: The bolts are different lengths. Note the position of the different bolts. Note the location and the orientation of the brackets for the tube assemblies.
- Remove joint (16). Refer to Illustration 3.
- Remove bolts (15).
- Remove cooler matrix (19) from spacer plate (17).
- Remove joint (18).