- Remove the bracket for the Electronic Control Module. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "ECM Mounting Bracket - Remove and Install".
Ensure that all adjustments and repairs that are carried out to the fuel system are performed by authorised personnel that have the correct training.
Before begining ANY work on the fuel system, refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "General Hazard Information and High Pressure Fuel Lines" for safety information.
Refer to System Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Cleanliness of Fuel System Components" for detailed information on the standards of cleanliness that must be observed during ALL work on the fuel system.
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
- Drain the coolant from the cooling system into a suitable container. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cooling System Coolant - Change" for the correct procedure.
Illustration 1 g01336192 Typical example
- If the engine has a left hand side oil filter, remove the oil filter base. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Oil Filter Base - Remove and Install".
- Make temporary identification marks on plastic tube assemblies (2) in order to show the correct position of the tube assemblies.
- Remove plastic tube assemblies (2). Plug all plastic tube assemblies with new plugs. Cap all open ports with new caps.
- Follow Steps 5.a through 5.d in order to disconnect the engine wiring harness (3).
- Disconnect engine wiring harness (3) from position sensor (1) for the fuel injection pump.
- Disconnect engine wiring harness (3) from the solenoid for the fuel injection pump.
- Disconnect engine wiring harness (3) from oil pressure sensor (8).
- Cut the cable straps that secure engine wiring harness (3) to the assembly of oil cooler (4). Position the harness away from the assembly of the oil cooler.
- Remove tube assembly (6) for the fuel return from the cylinder head and from transfer pump (5). Plug the tube assembly with new plugs. Cap all open ports with new caps.
Illustration 2 g01336193 Typical example
- If necessary, loosen bolts (7). Remove bolts (7) and remove brackets for the tube assemblies. Remove the assembly of oil cooler (4) from the cylinder block.
Note: The bolts are different lengths. Note the position of the different bolts. Note the location and the orientation of the brackets for the tube assemblies.
- Remove joint (8). Refer to Illustration 3.
Disassembly Procedure (Engine Oil Cooler with a High Mounted Filter Base)
- Remove nuts (12) from the assembly of oil cooler (6).
- Remove cooler matrix (9) from housing (11).
- Remove joints (10).