|Required Tools    |
|Tool    ||Part Number    ||Part Description    ||Qty    |
|A    ||6V-6640    ||Sealant    ||1    |
|B    ||-    ||Guide Bolt
(M8 by 80 mm)
|C    ||319-6486    ||Alignment Tool    ||1    |
(M10 by 50 mm)
|D    ||-    ||Straight Edge    ||1    |
|E    ||1U-6396    ||O-Ring Assembly Compound    ||1    |
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
- Ensure that the front housing is clean and free from damage. If necessary, replace the front housing.
Install blanking plugs to a new front housing. Use Tooling (A) to seal all D-plugs.
- Check the condition of the crankshaft front seal. If the front seal is damaged, remove the front seal from the front housing.
- Clean all the mating surfaces of the cylinder block.
- Install thrust washer (10) into the recess in the cylinder block. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Camshaft - Install" for more information.
- Install Tooling (B) to the cylinder block. Refer to Illustration 2.
- Align a new joint (6) with Tooling (B) . Install the joint to the cylinder block.
Note: Ensure that two circular tabs (X) on the joint are engaged in two holes (Y) in the cylinder block.
- Install Tooling (C) to the cylinder block.
- Install the front housing over Tooling (B) and Tooling (C) onto the cylinder block.
- Install bolts (9) to front housing (3) finger tight.
(7) M8 by 20 mm
(8) M8 by 35 mm
(9) M8 by 25 mm
- Remove Tooling (B) .
- Loosely install bolts (7) and (8) . Refer to Illustration 4 for the correct position of the bolts.
- Align the bottom face of front housing (3) to the lower machined face of the cylinder block. Use a Tooling (D) and a feeler gauge in order to check the alignment between the front housing and the cylinder block. Refer to Illustration 3. Refer to Specifications, "Front Housing and Covers" for further information.
- Tighten bolts (7) , (8) and (9) in the sequence that is shown in illustration 5 to a torque of 28 N·m (20 lb ft).
Note: Ensure that the housing and the cylinder block are correctly aligned.
- Remove Tooling (C) from the cylinder block.
- If necessary, install a new crankshaft front seal. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Crankshaft Front Seal - Remove and Install".
- Install new O-ring seals (4) and (5) to bypass tube (1) . Use Tooling (E) in order to lubricate the O-ring seals. Install bypass tube (2) to the cylinder head. Install bolts (1) . Tighten the bolts to a torque of 22 N·m (16 lb ft).
- Install the fuel injection pump. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Injection Pump - Install".
- Install the timing gears. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Gear Group (Front) - Install".
- If the engine has an accessory drive, install the accessory drive. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Accessory Drive - Remove and Install".
- Install the engine oil pan. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Engine Oil Pan - Install".
- Install the front pulley. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Vibration Damper and Pulley - Install".
- If necessary, install the alternator. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Alternator - Install".
- Install the fan. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fan - Remove and Install".
- Fill the cooling system with coolant. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cooling System Coolant - Fill" for the correct procedure.