|Required Tools    |
|Tool    ||Part Number    ||Part Description    ||Qty    |
|A    ||-    ||Breather Tool    ||1    |
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
- To install the breather body, Tooling (A) must be used. The tool should be fabricated from 3.1 mm (1/8 inch) steel stock. The dimensions for the tool are given in Illustration 1. All dimensions are shown in millimeters.
- Ensure that all components of the crankcase breather are clean and free from damage. Replace any components that are damaged.
Note: Illustration 3 shows the later type of crankcase breather cover that is installed in the valve mechanism cover. The later type of crankcase breather cover is not serviceable.
- Lubricate a new O-ring seal (9) with clean engine oil. Install the O-ring seal to adapter plate (8) .
- Install adapter plate (8) to valve mechanism cover (10) .
- Install washers (7) and bolts (6) to adapter plate (8) . Tighten the setscrews to a torque of 4.4 N·m (38 lb in).
- Lubricate a new O-ring seal (5) with clean engine oil. Install the O-ring seal to the bottom of breather body (4) .
- Use Tooling (A) in order to screw breather body (4) into adapter plate (8) . Tighten the breather body to a torque of 8 N·m (71 lb in).
- Install gauze (2) into breather body (4) .
- Lubricate a new O-ring seal (3) with clean engine oil. Install the O-ring seal to the top of breather body (4) .
- Install cover (1) to breather body (4) .
Note: Ensure that the outlet of the cover is in the correct position in order to align with hose (15) for the breather.
- Install bolts (17) to base (18) .
If a spacer is installed, position the spacer (16) to the bolts.
- Install the assembly of the base to the inlet manifold.
- Tighten bolts (17) to a torque of 22 N·m (16 lb ft).
- Install a new canister (20) to base (18) . Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Crankcase Breather (Canister) - Replace".
- Install spring clamps (14) to hose (15) . Install hose (15) to cover (1) and to base (18) .
Note: Ensure that the spring clamps are correctly positioned in order to secure the hose.
- Install clamp (19) to hose (21) . Install hose (21) to base (18) . Tighten the clamp.