Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
- Ensure that all components are clean and free from wear or damage. Refer to Specifications, "Rocker Shaft" for more information. If necessary, replace any components that are worn or damaged.
Illustration 1 g01417114
- If necessary, install nuts (10) and adjusters (9) to rocker arm assemblies (3) and (4). If the original adjusters are reused, ensure that the adjusters are installed in the original positions.
Illustration 2 g01340048
- Install retaining clip (7) and spring (8) to the front end of rocker shaft (5).
- Lubricate the bores of rocker arm assemblies (3) and (4) and rocker shaft (5) with clean engine oil.
- Install rocker arm assembly (3) for number 1 inlet valve to the rocker shaft. Install rocker arm assembly (4) for number 1 exhaust valve to rocker shaft (5).
Note: The rocker arm assembly for the inlet valve is longer than the rocker arm assembly for the exhaust valve. Used components should be installed in the original location.
- If necessary, ensure that locator (2) is correctly seated in pedestal (1). Ensure that the counterbores for the holes in rocker shaft (5) are upward. Align locator (2) with the hole to the front of rocker shaft (5). Install the pedestal to the rocker shaft.
Improper assembly of parts that are spring loaded can cause bodily injury.
To prevent possible injury, follow the established assembly procedure and wear protective equipment.
- Install spring (6) to rocker shaft (5).
- Repeat Steps 5 to 7 in order to assemble the remaining components to rocker shaft (5).
- Install the rocker shaft assembly. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Rocker Shaft and Pushrod - Install".