|Tool||Part Number||Part Description||Qty|
|A||227-4389||E10 Torx Socket||1|
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
- Clean the valve bridges. Inspect the valve bridges for wear or damage. Replace any valve bridges that are worn or damaged.
Illustration 1 g01340041
- Lubricate valve bridges (4) with clean engine oil.
Illustration 2 g01355120 The correct location of valve bridges on valve stems is shown. The electronic unit injector is not shown for clarity. NOTICE
Failure to ensure that ALL valve bridges are correctly seated onto the valve stems will cause interference between the pistons and the valves, resulting in damage to the engine.
- Install valve bridges (4) to the cylinder head.
Note: Install used valve bridges in the original location and in the original orientation. Ensure that the valve bridges are correctly seated on the valves. New valve bridges may be installed in either orientation.
- Clean the pushrods. Inspect the pushrods for wear or damage. Replace any pushrods that are worn or damaged.
- Apply clean engine lubricating oil to both ends of pushrods (3). Install the pushrods to the engine with the cup upward.
Note: Ensure that pushrods (3) are installed in the original location and that the ball end of each pushrod is correctly seated in the valve lifters.
Illustration 3 g01340040
- Ensure that the rocker shaft assembly is clean and free from wear or damage. Install torx screws (1) in the rocker shaft.
Illustration 4 g01340044
- Position rocker shaft assembly (2) onto the cylinder head. The retaining clip (6) should face the front of the engine.
Note: Ensure that adjustment screws (5) are properly seated in ends of pushrods (3).
- Use Tooling (A) to gradually tighten torx screws (1).
Note: To avoid distortion of rocker shaft assembly (2), tighten the torx screws in the center first. Work toward the outside of the rocker shaft assembly.
Tighten torx screws (1) to a torque of
35 N·m (26 lb ft). Illustration 5 g01340045
- Use Tooling (B) in order to check the valve lash. Refer to System Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Engine Valve Lash - Inspect/Adjust". If necessary, adjust the valve lash. Refer to System Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Engine Valve Lash - Inspect/Adjust" for the correct procedure.
- Install the valve mechanism cover. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Valve Mechanism Cover - Remove and Install".