Accidental engine starting can cause injury or death to personnel working on the equipment.
To avoid accidental engine starting, disconnect the battery cable from the negative (−) battery terminal. Completely tape all metal surfaces of the disconnected battery cable end in order to prevent contact with other metal surfaces which could activate the engine electrical system.
Place a Do Not Operate tag at the Start/Stop switch location to inform personnel that the equipment is being worked on.
- Turn the battery disconnect switch to the OFF position.
- Place identification marks on the harness assembly that is connected to the electric starting motor and the solenoid.
Illustration 1 g01342054 Typical example
- Disconnect the harness assembly from the electric starting motor and the solenoid.
- Remove nuts (2) for electric starting motor (3).
- Remove electric starting motor (3).
- If a joint is installed, remove joint (4).
- If necessary, remove studs (5) from flywheel housing (1).
- If necessary, install studs (5) into flywheel housing (1).
- If necessary, install a new joint (4) onto the studs in flywheel housing (1).
- Position electric starting motor (3) onto the studs in flywheel housing (1).
- Install nuts (2).
Tighten M10 nuts to a torque of
44 ± 11 N·m (32 ± 8 lb ft).
Tighten M12 nuts to a torque of
78 ± 19.5 N·m (57 ± 14 lb ft).
- Connect the harness assembly to the electric starting motor and the solenoid.
- Turn the battery disconnect switch to the ON position.