Remove And Install The Screed
See the Service Manual for your specific tractor for the procedures to remove and install the screed.
Remove Main Tow Arm
1. If a grade controller is installed on the tow arm, remove the controller. (See the Service Manual for your tractor.)
2. Attach a lifting device to the tow arm (1) and take the slack out of the lifting lines.
3. Remove pin from tow point cylinder (2) at the tow arm.
4. Remove the rollers (3) from the front of the tow arm.
5. Unbolt the main tow arm from the screed tow arm (5).
6. Remove the pin from lift cylinder (6) at the main tow arm bracket.
7. Lower the rear of the main tow arm until the arm is clear of the screed mounting bracket, then move the tow arm back from the tractor until the front of the arm is clear of the tractor bracket (4).
8. Move the main tow arm away.
Install Main Tow Arm
1. Attach a lifting device to the main tow arm and move it into position near the machine.
2. Slide the front of the tow arm (1) through the tractor bracket (2).
3. Bolt the rear of the main tow arm to the screed tow arm (5).
4. Pin the lift cylinder (6) to the main tow arm.
5. Install rollers (3) at the front of the tow arm.
6. Pin tow point cylinder (4) to front of tow arm.
7. If applicable, install the grade controller (see the Service Manual for your tractor).
Remove Slope Beam
NOTE: This procedure may require two persons, one at each end of the slope beam.
1. Disconnect the main coil and remote set point coil from the slope controller.
2. Unbolt the ball bushing mount (1) from the right hand main tow arm.
3. Slide the mount and ball bushing (2) off the beam shaft (3).
4. Remove the two bolts from the swivel mount (4) on the left hand main tow arm.
5. Slide the slope beam (5) toward one side or the other of the machine until the beam is clear of the screed.
Install Slope Beam
NOTE: This procedure may require two persons, one at each end of the slope beam.
1. Move the slope beam into position near the screed, the slide the beam inboard until it is in position at the rear of the tractor.
2. Bolt the slope beam (1) to swivel mount (2) at the left hand main tow arm.
3. Lubricate beam shaft (3), and slide the bushing mount (4) and ball bushing (5) onto the shaft.
4. Bolt the bushing mount to the right hand main tow arm.
5. Reconnect the main coil and remote set point coil connectors back to the slope controller.
Remove And Install Slope Beam Ball Bushing
1. Unbolt the ball bushing mount (1) from the right hand main tow arm.
2. Slide the mount and ball bushing off shaft (2) of the slope beam. Tie the shaft end of the beam to the screed mainframe, or swivel end will allow the shaft end to lower all the way to the ground.
3. Press ball bushing (3) out of bushing mount.
NOTE: The following steps are for installation of the slope beam ball bushing.
4. Press a new ball bushing into bushing mount.
5. Untie slope beam (4) from the mainframe and lubricate the beam shaft (2). Slide the ball bushing and mount back onto the slope beam shaft.
6. Bolt bushing mount (1) to the right hand main tow arm.
7. Use a grease gun with the correct lubricant to lubricate the ball bushing.
Remove Handrail Assembly
1. Disconnect the electrical connector from rear of the tractor. Support the screed main junction box (1) and remove the box mounting bolts. Lower the junction box to the screed.
2. Disconnect the electrical connector from rear of the tractor. Support the screed control junction box (2) and remove the box mounting bolts. Lower the control box to the screed.
3. Attach a lifting device to the top of the handrail assembly (3), and take the slack out of the lifting lines.
4. Unbolt the assembly from the screed.
5. Lift the assembly straight up until it is clear of the screed, then move the assembly away.
Install Handrail Assembly
1. Attach a lifting device to handrail assembly (3), and move it into position on the screed.
2. Bolt the assembly to the screed.
3. Support the screed control junction box (2) and install the box mounting bolts. Reconnect the electrical connector to the rear of the tractor.
4. Support the screed main junction box (1) and install the box mounting bolts. Reconnect the electrical connector to the rear of the tractor.
Remove And Install Wear Plate
a. remove end gate assembly.
b. remove strike-off assembly.
c. remove handrails assembly.
1. Remove the guard from the crowning assembly and both steps.
2. Remove the right hand and left hand covers.
3. Remove each burner assembly and blower assembly as a unit.
4. Remove both end covers (4).
5. With the screed resting on level ground, remove the nuts and flatwashers from the studs (front row is inside screed base) on wear plate (3).
6. Start the tractor engine and slowly raise the screed. If the wear plate lifts with the screed, do not let it clear the ground more than approximately 25 mm (1 in). Use a pry bar or tap on top of studs to free the wear plate from the screed.
7. After the plate is free of the screed, raise the screed until it can be mechanically locked in the UP position, and stop the engine.
8. Pull wear plate (3) out from under the screed.
NOTE: The following steps are for installation of the wear plate.
9. If used, transfer any shims from the old wear plate to the same position on the studs (2) of the new wear plate.
NOTE: This procedure may require 3 persons, one person to operate the fork lift and one person at each end of the new wear plate.
10. Using a fork lift jack or truck, carefully move the new wear plate into position under the screed.
11. Raise the wear plate to the bottom of the screed base and, when all studs are in alignment with the screed holes, slowly raise the wear plate until the plate studs are protruding through the screed base (1).
12. Install the nuts and flatwashers to all wear plate studs. Remove the fork lift and tighten the nuts.
NOTE: Wear plate must be leveled to screed at this time. The following steps give the complete guidelines for leveling the wear plate to the screed.
13. Check for center crown of the screed using the procedure that follows:
a. Raise the screed and rest it on the tractor mechanical screed locks.
b. Check for any crown that might be present by placing a 1.8 m (6 ft) straightedge across the bottom of the screed at the rear center.
NOTE: Do not attempt to remove the positive crown from the leading edge at the center of the screed. The screed base is manufactured with a built-in crown, and will always show a positive crown.
c. If a positive crown is visible on the trailing edge of the screed, turn crowning mechanism until the crown is removed.
14. Check for flatness of the screed wear plate by using the procedure that follows:
a. Place a 1.8 m (6 ft) straightedge across the rear bottom of the screed at one end.
b. The screed plate must be within 1.52 mm (.060 in) of being flat, or the plate must be shimmed. Move the straightedge from one end to the other in 61 cm (2 ft) steps.
NOTE: Any flatness problems at the leading edge must be noted and marked on the wear plate. The wear plate must then be removed to enable access for any shimming to the wear plate leading edge.
c. The 1.52 mm (.060 in) flatness requirement for the leading edge must be checked at each outboard end.
15. Install the burner and blower assemblies.
16. Install the right and left hand covers.
17. Install the steps and the guard for the crowning assembly.
a. install strike-off assembly.
b. install handrail assembly.
c. install end gate assembly.
Remove Crowning Assembly
1. Set the screed on blocks. Make sure a block is placed at the center of the screed.
2. If screed is in a crown position, turn crowning assembly (1) until crown is removed. Stop the sprocket at a position where removable link of chain is accessible.
3. Disconnect the removable link (2) and remove the chain.
4. Remove the retaining ring (3) from the pin (4) at each end of the screw (5).
5. Pull the two pins out and remove the sprocket and the two screws as a unit.
Install Crowning Assembly
1. With sprocket (1) and screws (2) assembled together as a unit, position one of the screw ends between the brackets and insert the pin. Install the retaining ring.
2. Position the other end of the screw between its brackets and turn sprocket until screw hole is in alignment with the bracket hole.
3. Insert pin (4) and install the retaining ring (3).
4. Place the sprocket chain (5) in position over the sprockets and install the removable link.
Remove Screed Tow Arm
1. Lower the screed to rest on level ground or on blocks.
2. Loosen setscrew and remove the indicator from inboard side of thickness control.
3. Remove bolt (1) and lift the adjustable sleeve (2) out of screed tow arm brackets. Allow the sleeve to pivot at the U-joint and hang inboard of the thickness control support (3).
4. Remove the screed arm mounting bolts (4).
5. Remove the bolt (5) and pivot pin retainer (6) at the inboard side of thickness control housing support (3).
6. Attach a lifting device to screed tow arm (7) and drive pivot pin out with a soft punch.
7. Move screed arm backwards to clear bushings, then move it away from the screed.
8. Drive each bushing out of screed end frame and out of the thickness control housing support.
Install Screed Tow Arm
1. Install two new bushings in screed end frame and pivot pin bracket. The bushings must be installed flush with the surfaces that make contact with screed tow arm.
2. Inspect the pivot pin hole at the bottom of the screed tow arm (2). If hole is oblong or hole has excessive clearance with pivot pin, screed tow arm will have to be replaced.
3. Inspect the pivot pin (3) for wear and replace the pin, if necessary.
4. Attach a lifting device and move screed arm into position between the bushings (4).
5. Install the pivot pin through the screed end frame (6), the screed arm (2) and the thickness control housing support (5).
6. Install pivot pin retainer (7) and bolt (8) in the pin at inboard side of control housing support (5). Remove the lifting device.
7. Bolt screed tow arm (2) back to main tow arm.
8. Lift the adjustable sleeve into position between screed arm brackets (1) and install the bolt. Install the indicator and tighten the setscrew.
Remove Thickness Control Assembly
1. Lower the screed to rest on level ground.
2. Turn handle (1) of thickness control assembly until the null point (no load in either direction) is reached.
3. Loosen the setscrew and remove indicator (7) from inboard side of thickness control support (3).
4. Drive out roll pin (2) and remove the handle from the shaft assembly.
5. Remove the bolt (5) that holds the adjustable sleeve (4) to screed arm (6).
6. Remove cotter pin from the slotted nut (8) and remove the nut and spacer (9).
7. Carefully pull the assembly out of the bearings and seals in the support, and remove spacer (10) from the shaft.
8. Drive out the roll pins at each end of the universal joint (11), and remove the universal joint from between the adjustable sleeve (4) and the shaft assembly (12).
NOTE: If universal joint needs to be disassembled, see the Universal Joint Disassembly And Assembly story in the Vibrator Section of this module.
9. If necessary, drive the roll pin out of fixed spacer (13) and remove the spacer from the shaft.
10. Remove the seal (14), bearing cup (15) and bearing cone (16) from each end of the thickness control support housing (3).
Install Thickness Control Assembly
1. Install a new bearing cone, bearing cup and seal in each end of control support housing (3).
2. If fixed spacer (13) was removed, position spacer on the shaft, align the holes and install the roll pin.
3. Position the universal joint (11) between the shaft assembly (12) and the adjustable sleeve (4), align the holes and install the roll pins through each end of the universal joint.
4. Install spacer (10) on the shaft assembly, and carefully insert the shaft end through the seals and bearings in the control support (3).
5. Put spacer (9) on threaded end of shaft and install the slotted nut (8). Tighten the nut but do not install cotter pin until the control has been reinstalled and adjusted correctly.
6. Position handle (1) on shaft and install the roll pin (2).
7. Making sure that scale (14) of adjustable sleeve (4) is facing upwards, position the sleeve end between the mounting brackets of screed arm (6) and install the bolt (5). The handle may have to be turned for hole alignment.
8. Insert the indicator (7) in its support and tighten the setscrew. Indicator will have to be readjusted later when the installation procedure is complete.
9. Start the engine and raise the screed off the ground.
NOTE: Preload the tapered bearings with slotted nut (8) so that control handle turns easily when cranked, but still remains at this same position when handle is released (without use of the locking device).
10. After preload is adjusted correctly, install the cotter pin through the slotted nut.