Remove And Install Planetary Ring Gear Hub Assembly And Wheel Hub And Drum Assembly
a. remove wheel
b. remove sun gear and planetary ring gear
1. Remove wheel bearing adjusting nut lock (2).
2. Remove the wheel bearing adjusting nut (1).
To avoid a possible personal injury due to wheel hub falling, fasten a sling around the wheel hub to support wheel hub and drum assembly during removal of the ring gear hub assembly.
3. Attach a lifting device to the ring gear hub assembly and remove the hub assembly. Puller screw holes (3) are provided in the ring gear hub flange to aid in the removal of the hub.
4. Use a suitable bearing puller to remove the outer wheel bearing cone (5) from the ring gear hub (4).
5. With a lifting device, lift the wheel hub and drum assembly (6) slightly to relieve the hub weight and the brake drum to brake shoe drag. Pull the assembly outboard off the brake shoes and the hub spindle.
NOTE: The following steps are for installation of the planetary ring gear hub assembly and wheel hub and drum assembly.
6. Install the outer wheel bearing cone (5) onto the journal of ring gear hub (4), press it squarely against the hub shoulder and apply lubricant to the roller bearings.
7. The race of the inner bearing cone (7) is a slip fit over the spindle journal. Install the inner bearing cone onto spindle (8) and apply lubricant to the roller bearings.
NOTE: The ring gear hub assembly should be temporarily mounted to the wheel hub assembly at this time for easier installation of the combined assemblies.
8. Place the hub and drum assembly vertically on floor or bench with brake drum end down.
9. Put the ring gear hub assembly and outer bearing cone (with rollers lubricated) into position in the wheel hub with bearing end facing down.
10. Align the larger ring gear hub puller holes with the smaller threaded holes in the wheel hub.
11. Install bolts (and flatwashers, if necessary) through the puller holes of ring gear hub flange and into the threaded holes of the wheel hub to temporarily hold the assemblies together.
12. Attach a lifting device to the combined assemblies and put into position parallel with the spindle.
13. Carefully move the assemblies inboard over the brake shoes while locating spline alignment with the spindle.
14. Install the wheel bearing nut on spindle and draw the assembly into position on the wheel bearings.
15. Remove the temporary bolts and flatwashers from the ring gear hub.
Wheel Bearing Preload Adjustment Procedure
A. Seat the bearings and related components by tightening adjusting nut (2) to 546 Nm (400 lb ft) while hub (1) is rotated in both directions.
B. Hit the hub several times with a soft mallet, and retighten adjusting nut to 546 Nm (400 lb ft).
C. Repeat this procedure until nut will no longer move with applied torque of 546 Nm (400 lb ft).
D. Back off the adjusting nut to zero torque to relieve all preload on the bearing.
E. Fabricate (weld a nut in center of bar to allow use of a torque wrench) and install flat bar (3). Record the torque value obtained using a torque wrench to rotate the hub at a steady rate (not starting torque).
F. Tighten adjusting nut (2) again and check the hub rolling torque with the preload on the bearing. Compare this new torque value with that recorded in step E. The increase in rolling torque must be 7 to 12 Nm (5 to 9 lb ft).
G. Loosen or tighten the adjusting nut more to obtain the correct rolling torque.
NOTE: It is important to understand that the final rolling torque is the sum of the original torque in step E plus the increase in torque from step F.
An alternate method for determining wheel hub rolling torque is to wrap a cord around the hub barrel, attach a spring scale and pull straight out at a steady rate. Torque is calculated by the pull force (spring scale reading) × hub barrel radius divided by unit of measurement (i.e. Torque in units of pound feet = pounds pull × inches of hub barrel radius divided by 12 inches).
Initial hub rolling torque from step E with zero adjusting nut torque = 11 Nm (8 lb ft).
Final hub rotating torque after nut adjustment:
Minimum: 11 Nm + 7 Nm = 18 Nm (8 lb ft + 5 lb ft = 13 lb ft)
Maximum: 11 Nm + 12 Nm = 23 Nm (8 lb ft + 9 lb ft = 17 lb ft)
NOTE: If the wheel bearings are reused, the procedure is the same as for new bearings except the increase in hub rolling torque should be 1/2 the value specified for new bearings.
16. Apply several drops of Locktite 277 to the internal lockplate screw threads in the hub. Install adjusting nut lockplate and screws, and tighten flathead screws (4) to a torque of:
3/8-16 ... 48 to 68 Nm (35 to 50 lb ft)
7/16-14 ... 82 to 102 Nm (60 to 75 lb ft)
NOTE: If V-notch of lockplate (5) does not properly engage with corner of adjusting nut, reverse lockplate so flat of plate is against the flat of the nut.
a. install sun gear and planetary ring gear
b. install wheel
Disassemble And Assemble Wheel Hub And Drum Assembly
a. remove planetary ring gear hub assembly and wheel hub and drum assembly
1. If wheel bearings are to be replaced, remove the inner and outer wheel bearing cups with a suitable puller.
2. If the brake drum or the oil slinger needs replacement, unbolt the drum from the wheel hub.
NOTE: The following steps are for installation of the wheel hub and drum assembly.
3. If hub bearing cups have been removed for replacement, install new cups with a suitable driving sleeve.
4. Install brake drum and oil slinger where applicable. If slinger fit is not tight between hub and drum, a bead of liquid gasket can be applied to prevent rattle. Install drum mounting bolts and washers, and tighten to specified torque.
a. install planetary ring gear hub assembly and wheel hub and drum assembly