Remove And Install Wheel Hub Spindle Assembly
a. remove planetary ring gear hub assembly and wheel hub and drum assembly
NOTE: In most cases, complete disassembly of the brake is not necessary for the removal of the hub spindle. Removal of the brake shoe return springs provides adequate working clearance.
1. Remove brake shoe return spring and push brake shoes aside to permit access to the hub spindle fasteners.
2. Remove the inner wheel bearing cone (1) from the spindle (2). This bearing is not a press fit and can be removed by hand.
3. Remove the spindle stud nuts (3) and washers.
NOTE: Some models require removal of the brake spider to allow removal of the spindle.
4. Remove the spindle carefully. Support the axle shaft during spindle removal sothe inner oil seal (inside bore of spindle) is not damaged while sliding past the axle shaft splines.
NOTE: The following steps are for installation of the wheel hub and drum assembly.
5. Apply a film of waterproof grease to lips of oil seal (5) in the spindle bore, the bore of bronze bushing (4) in the spindle bore, and to the oil seal journal surface of the axle shaft short end.
Use extreme care to avoid damage to any of the oil seals.
6. Install the spindle by carefully sliding it over the end of the axle shaft and onto the studs for the spindle.
NOTE: Where O-ring is not used, apply a bead of liquid gasket, diameter of about 2 mm (.09 in), to the mounting face of the wheel hub oil seal retainer assembly. The bead must go around the inner side of the bolt holes.
7. Assemble the O-ring (6), if used, in the groove of the spindle face.
8. Install the inner wheel bearing cone (1) on the hub spindle and apply lube to bearing rollers.
9. Place the oil seal and retainer assembly (7) over the studs and install flat washers and nuts. Tighten the nuts to specified torque.
NOTE: On models with bolted brake spiders, install brake spider to the spindle while supporting the spindle, and then install the mounting fasteners.
a. install planetary ring gear hub assembly and wheel hub and drum assembly
Disassemble And Assemble Wheel Hub Spindle Assembly
a. remove wheel hub spindle assembly
NOTE: The wheel hub oil seal and retainer assembly may adhere to the spindle flange due to liquid gasket in the joint.
NOTE: Do not remove the oil seal from retainer unless replacement of seal is necessary.
1. Remove the wheel hub oil seal and retainer assembly (1) from the spindle (2).
2. If replacement of the spindle inner oil seal (3) is necessary, remove the seal from the spindle.
3. If replacement of the spindle inner bronze bushing (4) is necessary, remove the bushing from the spindle.
NOTE: The following steps are for assembly of the hub spindle assembly.
4. If the spindle inner bronze bushing (4) was removed, install a new bushing inside the spindle with a suitable driver.
5. If the spindle inner oil seal (3) was removed, install a new seal inside spindle with a suitable driver.
NOTE: Replacement of oil seals should be made at regular maintenance intervals.
a. install wheel hub spindle assembly