Remove And Install Brake Assembly
a. remove planetary ring gear hub assembly and wheel hub and drum assembly
1. Disconnect brake shoe return spring (4).
2. Remove the C-type washers from the two anchor pins (6), and all locks and washers from guide pins (5).
3. Remove brake shoe assemblies (1).
4. Remove anchor pin locknuts, lockwashers and anchor pins (6).
5. Disconnect the hydraulic brake line and immediately cap or plug the line.
6. Remove the bolts and washers, and remove the wheel cylinder assembly (2).
NOTE: The following steps are for installation of the brake assembly.
7. Put the wheel cylinder assembly (2) into position and install the bolts and washers.
8. Remove the cap or plug from the hydraulic brake line and connect the brake line to the wheel cylinder assembly.
NOTE: The wrench flat of each anchor pin must both be positioned horizontally with its punch mark (7) nearest the adjacent pin.
9. Put anchor pins (6) into correct position and install anchor pin locknuts and lockwashers.
10. Put brake shoe assemblies (1) into position and install the washers and locks on the guide pins (5).
11. Back off the adjusting cams (3) and position the shoes on the push rods of wheel cylinder.
12. Attach the brake shoe return spring (4) back into the web hole of each brake shoe.
Brake Shoe Adjustment
NOTE: Initial adjustment must be made to properly center the brake shoe arc in relation to the curvature of the brake drum and to obtain proper clearance between the drum and shoe.
A. Adjust eccentric adjuster cam (3) until the brake shoe lining makes contact with the brake drum.
B. Loosen locknut and turn anchor pin (6) until no drag is felt when the brake drum is rotated.
C. Repeat step A and step B until any additional rotation of anchor pin will no longer relieve the drag from the brake drum.
D. Tighten the anchor pin locknut and back off the eccentric cam just enough to permit drum to turn freely.
E. Repeat steps A thru D for the opposite brake shoe.
NOTE: Any later adjustments to compensate for lining wear are to be made with the eccentric adjuster cams only. Adjust cam until contact is made with the drum, then back off to permit free rolling of drum and repeat for opposite shoe.
a. install planetary ring gear hub assembly and wheel hub and drum assembly