Remove And Install Axle Shaft And Universal Joint Assembly
a. remove wheel hub spindle assembly
1. Remove the axle shaft and universal joint assembly (1) by sliding it out of the axle housing assembly (3). Be very careful not to damage the oil seal (2) in the housing.
NOTE: Some models may have a hardened guide plate cover in front of the oil seal for seal protection during removal and installation of the axle shafts. To remove seals from axles that use the guide plate, it is necessary to first remove the plate by driving it out using a long bar from the opposite side of the axle.
2. If oil seal is to be removed, note position of seal lip. Remove the oil seal from the housing.
3. If necessary, remove the bronze bushing (4) from the axle housing.
NOTE: The following steps are for installation of the axle shaft and universal joint assembly.
4. Drive a new bronze bushing (4) into the axle housing (3).
5. Install new oil seal (2) in axle housing with correct orientation of seal lip as noted in step 2. Seal must be located squarely against the recessed shoulder in the housing.
6. If guide plate cover was removed from this axle, install guide plate cover in front of the oil seal.
NOTE: Apply a film of waterproof grease to the oil seal lips, bronze bushing bore and to the journal for the oil seal on axle shaft long end.
7. Insert the axle shaft (1) through the oil seal and bushing in end of housing, using extreme care that shaft splines do not damage oil seal, and mesh the shaft splines with the splines in the side gear of the differential carrier.
a. install wheel hub spindle assembly
Disassemble Axle Shaft And Universal Joint Assembly
a. remove axle shaft and universal joint assembly
1. Remove the snap rings from the two ears in each yoke.
2. Position the joint assembly in an open vise with one yoke horizontal and resting on top of the vise jaws (do not tighten the vise).
NOTE: The bearing cap has a highly polished surface and care should be exercised not to mar or scratch surface during removal operation.
3. Using a soft mallet, tap the upper ear of the vertical yoke several times. This will drive the vertical yoke down and the journal cross will push out the upper needle bearing and cap (1).
4. If the metal retainers have worked free from the bearing caps, remove them from the arms of the journal cross through the hole in the yokes.
5. Turn the vertical yoke upside down and remove the needle bearing and retainer on the opposite side, using the same procedure outlined in steps 3 and 4.
6. Remove vertical yoke (2) by gently working yoke off the arms of the cross (3).
7. To complete the disassembly, hold remaining yoke in a vertical position and rest the journal cross arms on top of the open vise. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5.
8. Remove the cross from the yoke by gently working the cross free.
9. Clean and inspect all parts. When inspecting the bearings, keep needles, caps and retainers of each individual journal arm together.
Do not use a new journal cross with old bearings, or an old cross with new bearings. Inspect carefully, and if either the cross or bearings are worn, replace both. Replacement should be made in sets of four.
10. Replace parts that show excessive wear or damage. If it is necessary to use a new cross, the needle bearings should also be replaced. Do not mix new and used bearings together.
Assemble Axle Shaft And Universal Joint Assembly
NOTE: The bearing cap has a highly polished surface and care should be exercised not to mar or scratch surface during installation operation. Apply grease liberally to the needle bearings in each cap to aid in maintaining needle positions around the periphery of the cap.
1. Insert needle bearing cap into ear of yoke.
2. Place yoke in vise and press needle bearing cap (1) into the proper position.
3. Remove yoke from vise and gently work one arm of cross into the yoke and bearing cap.
4. Start opposite bearing cap in other ear of the yoke by hand, and position the yoke between the vise jaws.
The cap must be started squarely in the bore of the yoke ear. It is possible for one or more of the needles to fall out of position in the bearing cap. Do not continue the press operation of the vise if force required seems excessive.
5. Align cross arm with bearing cap and very carefully press needle bearing cap into the yoke and onto the arm of the cross.
NOTE: Cross must move freely in both caps. If cross should bind, remove the cap and check for upset needles.
6. With the aid of a short plug (2), move the bearing cap past snap ring groove and insert snap ring in the groove.
7. Move the short plug to the other side of the yoke, press the bearing cap past its snap ring groove and insert the snap ring.
8. Repeat steps 1 thru 7 for installing remaining caps and yoke.
a. install axle shaft and universal joint assembly