Remove And Install Differential Carrier
a. remove ground drive axle
b. remove axle shaft and universal joint assembly
1. Remove plug from bottom of axle housing and drain lubricant.
2. Remove carrier to housing stud nuts (1) and washers. Loosen two top nuts and leave on studs to prevent carrier from falling.
3. Break carrier (2) loose from axle housing (3) with a rawhide mallet.
4. Fasten a lifting device to the carrier, or move a roller jack into position under the carrier.
NOTE: A small pinch bar may be used to keep the carrier straight in the housing bore, but the end must be rounded to prevent indenting the carrier flange.
5. Remove top nuts and washers and work the carrier free. Remove carrier from the housing.
NOTE: The following steps are for installation of the differential carrier.
6. Remove any accumulation of dirt, grit or gum from housing bowl and sleeves. Clean housing thoroughly with solvent and blow dry with compressed air.
7. Inspect housing for cracks, loose studs, nicks, and burrs at machined surfaces. Remove nicks and burrs with stone or file and make all necessary repairs or parts replacement before installing differential carrier in housing.
8. Install a new gasket to axle housing (3) over the housing studs.
9. Fasten a lifting device to the carrier (2) and move it into position on the housing studs, or roll the carrier into position on a roller jack.
Do not drive carrier into housing with a hammer at the carrier stud flange. The flange may easily be distorted which can cause severe oil leakage.
NOTE: Before tightening the four nuts, install lockwashers and stud nuts on any studs under carrier housing offsets. It is impossible to start these nuts after carrier is drawn into housing.
10. Using four flatwashers and nuts placed on equally spaced studs, start the carrier into the housing by tightening the four nuts alternately to draw the carrier squarely into axle housing.
11. When the carrier is drawn completely into the axle housing, remove the flatwashers and install lockwashers and stud nuts. Tighten nuts to the correct torque.
a. install axle shaft and universal joint assembly
b. install ground drive axle