Remove Steering Valve
1. Pry off the steering wheel cover (1) and remove the nut from the shaft.
2. Pull the steering wheel (2) from the steering column.
3. Support the steering valve and remove the mounting bolts (3).
4. Lower the steering valve and column out of the console.
5. Separate the steering column from the steering valve.
Install Steering Valve
1. Position the steering column on the steering valve.
2. Move the valve and column into position beneath the console and install the mounting bolts (3).
3. Position the steering wheel (2) onto the steering column and install the nut.
4. Install the cover (1) on the steering wheel.
5. Thoroughly clean around the hydraulic hose ends and the valve ports, then connect the hoses to the valve.
Disassemble Steering Valve
NOTE: Although not all drawings show the unit in a vise, we recommend that you keep the unit in the vise during disassembly. Follow the clamping procedures explained throughout this procedure.
Use protective material on vise jaws. Do not overtighten jaws.
1. Clamp unit in vise, meter end up. Clamp lightly on edges of mounting area.
2. Remove cap screws (1).
3. Remove end cap (2).
4. Remove seal (3) from end cap.
5. Remove meter (4). Be careful not to drop star.
6. Remove seal (5) from meter.
7. Remove drive spacer (6).
8. Remove drive (7).
9. Remove spacer plate (8).
10. Remove seal (9) from housing.
11. Remove housing from vise. Place housing on a clean soft cloth to protect surface finish. Use a thin bladed screwdriver to pry retaining ring (10) from housing.
12. Rotate spool and sleeve until pin is horizontal. Push spool and sleeve assembly forward with your thumbs just far enough to free gland bushing (11) from housing. Remove gland bushing.
13. Remove quad ring seal (12) from seal gland bushing (11).
14. Use a thin bladed screwdriver to pry dust seal (13) from seal gland bushing. Do not damage bushing.
15. Remove two bearing races (14) and the needle thrust bearing (15) from spool and sleeve assembly.
16. Remove spool and sleeve assembly (16) from 14 hole end of housing.
Do not bind spool and sleeve in housing. Rotate spool and sleeve assembly slowly when removing from housing.
17. Push pin (17) from spool and sleeve assembly.
18. Push spool (18) partially from control end of sleeve (19), then carefully remove centering springs (20) from spool.
19. Push spool back through and out of sleeve. Rotate spool slowly when removing from sleeve.
20. Remove seal (26) from housing.
21. Remove setscrew (21) from housing.
22. Screw a 1/8" - 24 machine screw into end of check ball seat (22). Then by pulling on screw, with a pliers, lift seat out of housing.
23. Remove two seals (23) from check valve seat.
24. Tip housing to remove check ball (24) and check ball retainer (25).
Assembly Steering Valve
1. Check all mating surfaces. Replace any parts that have scratches or burrs that could cause leakage. Clean all metal parts in clean solvent. Blow dry with air. Do not wipe dry with cloth or paper towel because lint or other matter can get into the hydraulic system and cause damage. Do not use a coarse grit or try to file or grind these parts.
Do not use excessive lubricant on seals for meter section.
2. Lubricate all seals (with exception of new quad ring seal) with clean petroleum jelly.
3. Use a needle nose pliers to lower check ball retainer (25) into check valve hole of housing. Make sure retainer is straight, not tilted on edge, in housing.
4. Install check ball (24) in housing.
5. Lubricate seals (23) and install seals on check ball seat (22).
6. Lubricate check ball seat and seals thoroughly before installing seat in housing. When installing seat do not twist or damage seals. Install check ball seat in housing, insert open end of seat first. Push check ball seat to bottom of hole.
7. Install setscrew (21). Use an Allen wrench to tighten setscrew to 11.3 Nm (100 lb in). To prevent interference, make sure top of setscrew is slightly below housing mounting surface.
8. Assemble spool (18) and sleeve (19) carefully so that the spring slots line up at the same end. Rotate spool while sliding parts together. Some spool and sleeve sets have identification marks, align these marks. Test for free rotation. Spool should rotate smoothly in sleeve with finger tip force applied at splined end.
9. Bring spring slots of both parts in line and stand parts on end of bench. Insert spring installation tool through spring slots of both parts. Position 2 sets of 3 springs (20) on bench so that extended edge is down and arched center section is together. Insert one end of entire spring set into spring installation tool.
10. Compress extended end of centering spring set and push into spool sleeve assembly withdrawing installation tool at the same time.
11. Center the spring set in the parts so that they push down evenly and flush with the upper surface of the spool and sleeve.
12. Install pin through spool and sleeve assembly until pin becomes flush at both sides of sleeve.
13. Position the spool and sleeve assembly so that the splined end of the spool enters the 14 hole end of housing first.
NOTE: Be careful that the parts do not tilt out of position while inserting. Push parts gently into place with slight rotating action, keep pin nearly horizontal. Bring the spool assembly entirely within the housing bore until the parts are flush at the meter end or 14 hole end of housing. Do not pull the spool assembly beyond this point to prevent the cross pin from dropping into the discharge groove of the housing. With the spool assembly in this flush position, check for free rotation within the housing by turning with light finger tip force at the splined end.
14. Place housing on clean, lint free cloth. Install seal (26) in housing.
15. Install two bearing races (14) and the needle thrust bearing (15).
16. Install dust seal (13) in seal gland bushing (11), flat or smooth side of dust seal must face down towards bushing.
17. Install dry quad ring seal (12) in seal gland bushing. Smooth seal in place with your finger. Do not use any seal that falls freely into pocket of bushing.
18. Install seal gland bushing (11) over the spool end with a twisting motion. Tap the bushing in place with a rubber hammer. Make sure the bushing is flush against the bearing race.
19. Install retaining ring (10) in housing. After installing ring, tap on ring end or pry with screwdriver around entire circumference of ring to properly seat ring in groove.
20. Clamp housing in vise. Clamp lightly on edges of mounting area. Do not over tighten jaws.
NOTE: Check to insure that the spool and sleeve are flush or slightly below the 14 hole surface of the housing. Clean the upper surface of the housing by wiping with the palm of clean hand. Clean each of the flat surfaces of the meter section parts in a similar way when ready for reassembly. Do not use cloth or paper to clean surfaces.
21. Install seal (9) in housing.
22. Install spacer plate (8). Align bolts holes in spacer plate with tapped holes in housing.
23. Rotate spool and sleeve assembly until pin (17) is parallel with port face. Install drive (7), make sure you engage drive with pin. To assure proper alignment, mark a line on the face of the drive parallel to the drive pin slot.
24. Mark a line (27) on the outer face of the meter parallel to the two equally sized star valleys. Install seal (5) in meter (4).
25. With seal side of meter toward spacer plate, install the meter on the drive with the marks made in steps 23 and 24 aligned. Align the mark on the meter with the valve ports (28). Align bolt holes without disengaging meter from drive.
26. Install drive spacer in meter.
27. Install seal in end cap.
28. Install end cap on gerotor, align holes.
29. Install 7 dry cap screws in end cap. Pretighten screws to 17 Nm (150 lb in), then finish tightening screws to 31 Nm (275 lb in).