|Tool||Part Number||Part Description||Qty|
- Remove the ladder. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Ladder - Remove and Install" for the correct procedure.
- Remove the fan. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fan Drive (Hydraulic) - Remove" for the correct procedure.
Note: SERVICE DATA: TOOLING (ZZ) WILL NOT BE IDENTIFIED IN PHOTOGRAPHS IN THE REMOVAL OR THE INSTALLATION. THIS TOOLING IS SHOWN TO ASSIST THE EXPERIENCED SERVICEMAN.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, PERJ1017, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat® products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Hot oil and hot components can cause personal injury. Do not allow hot oil or hot components to contact skin.
At operating temperature, the engine coolant is hot and under pressure.
Steam can cause personal injury.
Check the coolant level only after the engine has been stopped and the cooling system pressure cap is cool enough to touch with your bare hand.
Remove the cooling system pressure cap slowly to relieve pressure.
Cooling system conditioner contains alkali. Avoid contact with the skin and eyes to prevent personal injury.
- Drain engine coolant from the appropriate radiator into a suitable container. The total cooling system contains approximately
681 L (150 US gal)of coolant.
- Evacuate the air conditioning system. Refer to Service Manual, "Air Conditioning and Heating R-134a All AVSpare Machines".
Illustration 1 g00915228
- Loosen clamps (4). Disconnect bottom radiator hose (5). Remove clips (1) on drain hose (6).
- Remove lower radiator mount bolts (2). Remove 1/2 mount (3).
- Repeat Step 4 for the opposite lower radiator mount.
Illustration 2 g00915231
- Remove bolts (8) that secure handhold (7). Remove the handhold from the truck.
Illustration 3 g00915230
- Disconnect harness assembly (9) for warning light (12).
Illustration 4 g00915229
- Attach a suitable lifting device to lower grill assembly (10). Attach the lifting device to a suitable hoist. The weight of grill assembly is approximately
70 kg (154 lb).Show/hide table Illustration 5 g00916070
- Remove bolts (14) that secure lower grill assembly (10) to the truck.
- Repeat Step 9 for opposite side of grill assembly.
- Remove lower grill assembly (10) from the truck.
Note: Do not damage harness assembly for warning light (12) when panel (11) is removed.
- Remove bolts (13) that secure panel (11). Remove the panel from the truck.
Illustration 6 g00915232
- Remove bolts (16) that secure the elbow to radiator (15). Disconnect elbow (17) from the radiator.
Illustration 7 g00915309
- Disconnect hose assemblies (21) from condenser (18). Remove hose clips (19) in order to disconnect hose assemblies from radiator (15). Lay hose assemblies aside.
- Disconnect harness clips (20) from the radiator.
Illustration 8 g00915320
- Loosen clamp (23) and disconnect hose (24) from elbow (22).
Illustration 9 g00915347
- Install Tooling (A) to both sides of radiator (15).
Illustration 10 g00915367
- Attach a suitable lifting device to Tooling (A). The weight of a radiator assembly is approximately
735 kg (1620 lb).Show/hide table Illustration 11 g00915381
- Remove bolts (25) that secure radiator (15).
- Repeat Step 19 for opposite side of radiator.
Illustration 12 g00915390
- Lift radiator (15) slightly and turn in order to remove the radiator from the truck.
Note: If the left radiator is being removed, both radiators must be drained. If the right radiator is being removed, only drain the right radiator.